The Biochemistry team at Vital is seeking a passionate and creative scientist to fill the role of Associate Scientist. We’re looking for a teammate that has proficiency in designing and performing experiments, maintaining equipment, preparing high-quality reagents and buffers, and performing various laboratory techniques in the fields of molecular biology and biochemistry.
As an Associate Scientist, you will be assisting directly with the design, development, and validation of our next-generation bio-sensing assays in complex matrices.
You will play an integral role in helping Vital reach our goals by supporting a number of functions within the research and product operations scope: experimental development, reagent formulation, and assay validation.
You will regularly interact with other Vital team members to establish needs, follow and update laboratory SOPs, maintain stocks, and transfer well-established analytical methods. You will work closely with our Directors of Biochemistry and product team to build and refine our biological assay platforms.
The role will involve substantial wet bench work to troubleshoot and optimize tests through well-thought-out experimental plans. You will be expected and encouraged to actively contribute by presenting novel scientific concepts that will positively impact all laboratory procedures conducted at Vital.
What you will be doing:
- Work in a fast-paced lab environment. We are constantly optimizing our lab to help push science forward at unprecedented rates.
- Help optimize new technology for our diagnostic product
- Design experiments with your Senior Scientist mentor and the rest of the scientific team
- Execute and document experiments
- Quantitatively analyze and communicate results to fellow scientists and non-science members of the company
- Develop Protocols and Standard Operating Procedures(SOPs) based on the best results
- Analyze our clinical samples in an FDA-compliant manner
- Help the scientific team develop and achieve goals to meet ambitious deadlines
- Synthesize and sterilize biological buffers as required for experiments. Experience with handling biological media and maintaining DNAse/RNAse/Protease free environments is an asset
- Maintain stocks of required chemical reagents from established suppliers, discover new suppliers and improve pricing/quality at all steps of development.
- Construct, modify and follow standard operating procedures (SOPs) in direct collaboration with the biochemistry development team
- Maintain proper function and conduct regular calibration of laboratory instruments including: pH meters, optical microscopy, UV-Vis spectroscopy, circular dichroism (CD), fluorescence spectrometry, NMR, mass spectrometry, TEM, or SEM
- Transfer methods to other internal or external partners and support collaborations through defensible result production and QC procedures.
- Manage multiple tasks and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Communicate effectively to peers and leadership to support decision-making, including writing protocols and summarizing results in a report or presentation.
What you will need:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering, or related field
- Experience with execution of experiments in a wet lab (at least 6 months)
- Meticulously organized
- Competency in biochemistry and chemistry
- Ability to communicate results and concepts clearly to fellow scientists
- Experience maintaining an academic or industrial research laboratory
- Some successful research laboratory experience in a relevant field of study
- Experience with conducting experiments on, or maintaining instruments listed above
- Ability to multi-task, handle frequently changing job functions, and rapidly learn new techniques and approaches.
What would be desired for you to have:
- Ability to write and maintain standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Prior experience working in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Vital is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
With our company size and growth you will have many opportunities to be an inspirational and collaborative team member. Desire to be a critical part of a growing company while continuously learning both personally and professionally? This is what you are looking for!
We are actively building our strategies, structures, and process so this role will be busy and expanding. You will also have opportunities to be a mentor for other team members and create something that changes the face of healthcare. You will grow as the company grows, you evolve as we evolve. We despise stagnation!
The role will be initially based at the University of Guelph in Guelph, Ontario, for approximately two (2) months, and then out of our main office in Mississauga, Ontario.
We’re Vital. We build products that combine cutting-edge science and intuitive design in ways that make measuring health and taking action accessible by everyone. Our mission is to democratize technology that puts people in control of their health.
This is a massive goal, and we’re just getting started. We’re looking for special people to join our team to help us make it a reality.
At Vital, we thrive on change, operate on trust, and leverage diverse perspectives from the people on our team in everything we do. We operate at a rapid pace and we push key decisions to folks on the front lines across all of our teams. Our culture is fundamentally based on having a growth mindset – which means Vital is the kind of place where you can make an impact, somewhere you want to invest your talent and energy, and do your life’s best work. As a workplace, we challenge and support you to hone your craft and be a part of something bigger than any of us.