Scope of Position
Ontario Genomics leads the application of genomics-based solutions across key sectors of Ontario’s economy to drive economic growth, improved quality of life and global leadership. Our sectors include but are not limited to health, agriculture, agri-food, natural resources, environment, bioproducts and advanced manufacturing.
Reporting to the VP, Sector Innovation & Programs or Director, the Sector Innovation & Research Program Advisor – Level 1 is responsible for supporting sector or sub-sector strategies relevant to Ontario’s economy to achieve the deliverables and objectives as set out in the Ontario Genomics strategic plan.
This includes building effective relationships by connecting, enabling and working with leading academics and diverse partners/partner organizations within the sector or sub-sectors to prepare and submit high quality applications to Genome Canada, Ontario Genomics and/or other funding initiatives, and to enhance Ontario Genomics’ visibility and profile in the community.
This role assists the Director or Team Lead with the development of innovative strategies to source, secure and/or optimize co-funding for projects as required by program parameters. The role acts as the main point of contact for funded projects and is responsible for monitoring projects to assess their progress and maximize outcomes.
Supporting Sector or Sub-Sector Strategies (15%)
- Matrix reporting also to VP Strategic Partnerships & Resource Development, develops relationships with assigned key sector stakeholders from private industry, government and academia, with a view to demonstrating the application of genomics-based solutions to sector specific challenges to address emerging bioeconomic opportunities and needs.
- Develops and maintains a key stakeholder list to ensure OG’s sector visibility.
- Supports the team in the development and implementation of the strategy for genomics based solutions in the assigned sector in collaboration and consultation with internal and external stakeholders.
- In collaboration with Sector Innovation & Programs and Communications teams builds sector awareness and develops opportunities for communication and educational initiatives.
Funding Competitions and Projects (40%)
- Sources projects and works with academics and stakeholders to help teams prepare and submit high quality applications to Genome Canada and Ontario Genomics funding initiatives
- Fosters relationships, facilitates meetings, and communicates effectively with project teams, the lead institutions and other partners
- Works with project teams to assist with problem solving, risk management and collaborations in order to increase chance of success
Project Oversight and Support (40%)
- Launches new research projects by facilitating project start-up activities, including finalization of project budgets, work plans and milestones and coordinate the process to close out projects after completion including tracking and reporting on project(s) success.
- Monitors scientific and financial progress of projects to ensure that all goals and milestones are completed on time and on budget.
- Works with project team to mitigate risk, optimize scientific outcomes and increase chance of translation of project outcomes
- Provides management consulting support to assigned projects including fostering relationships, facilitation of meetings and effective communications with project teams, lead institutions and other partners
- Works with Genome Canada staff as necessary to identify and resolve issues pertaining to funded projects
Research Project Best Practices (5%)
- Works with the Research Programs team to develop and improve processes, develop best practices and proactively resolve project issues
- Use available technology tools to track and monitor results and report on successes and areas for learning among the team
- Attend internal meetings to provide status on projects and program updates, share opportunities and network leads as required
- Other duties as assigned by the VP/Director
- PhD in life sciences or equivalent combination of education and 3+ years of work experience
- Experience/sector expertise in synthetic/engineering biology is an asset
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills and careful recordkeeping practices, preferably in a science or technology environment
- Ability to multi-task and respond to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Business experience in an industry setting, particularly with respect to developing relationships and negotiating collaborations would be an asset
- Solid understanding of budget development and financial assessment
- Demonstrated experience with milestone-driven projects and an ability to identify and assess objective, quantifiable measures of success
- Experience with critical evaluation of scientific proposals and reports, including experimental design, interpretation of data and statistical analysis
- Broad and updated knowledge of molecular biology, genetics and/or big data/bioinformatics
- Experience in one or more key economic sectors important to Ontario (i.e., health, natural resources, environment, agriculture/agri-food, bioproducts/advanced manufacturing)
- High tolerance for ambiguous environments and is able to drive progress in complex environments consisting of multiple stakeholders who often have differing goals
- Creative and enjoys working in a small entrepreneurial environment that is results-driven
- Exceptional verbal and written English communication skills, including effective engagement with diverse and senior stakeholders
- Possesses a positive attitude, integrity, and agility, and brings a positive energy and outlook to a not-for-profit corporate culture
- Is motivated by continuous learning and the desire to make a difference and a real contribution to the genomics research and innovation ecosystem
- Would be laser-focused on bringing the transformative power of genomics knowledge users positioned to act on research findings
Key Performance Indicators
- Number of relationships established and led to partnerships in sector
- Stakeholder map developed and updated (in assigned sector)
- Number of high-quality projects sourced and submitted to GC, OG and/or other funding opportunities
- Positive Feedback from research teams indicating they value support received
- Provincial government or other co-funding secured (in collaboration with team leadership)
- Demonstrated integration into project teams once funded (ex. Invited to attend meetings, field trips etc.)
- Success stories and metrics recorded consistently
Purpose-driven Research Methodology Skills
In-depth knowledge of scientific research methods, approaches and techniques to produce valid, defensible and credible results and advance scientific knowledge into applications related to the subject area. Previous grant writing experience an asset.
Project Management & Accountability
Ability to scope projects, define objectives and resources required, timelines and milestones and monitor completion of activities to deliver completed projects successfully.
Able to coach academics and partners to achieve goals using effective questioning and discovery techniques and identifying learning and growth opportunities
Able to assimilate information to identify opportunities to match stakeholder needs and genomicsbased solutions available. Asks appropriate questions to identify investor opportunities.
Outstanding level of interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence in order to build a strong network of trusted colleagues and industry partners and associates. Facilitates innovative thinking and advocacy for research to advance society’s needs.
Knowledge of components of budget and development of accurate cost estimates
Persuasion and Influence Skills
Ability to convince others to collaborate and/or agree to provide funds for specific beneficial purposes
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter with your salary expectations and a resume via email to Christine Scaramuzzo ([email protected]).
Deadline for applications is December 13, 2019.
We appreciate all applications received but only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.