The Biochemistry team at Vital is seeking a passionate and creative scientist to fill the role of Principal Scientist. We’re looking for a teammate proficient in all aspects of project management, from design to deployment, who can employ excellence at the benchtop to accomplish stated goals.
As a Principal Scientist at Vital, you will be leading the design, development and validation of our next-generation assays. You will regularly interact with other Vital team members to establish needs, help with result analysis, be a scientific sounding board, model out experimental directions, and implement learnings into the development of analytical methods for diagnostics. Your job will be to support our team of Senior Scientists who each own a diagnostic assay subsystem.
The role will involve substantial modeling, ideation, project management, and bench work to troubleshoot and optimize tests through well-thought out experimental plans. You will be expected and encouraged to actively contribute to our product development direction, and present novel procedural and scientific concepts that will positively impact all aspects of Vital’s operations.
What you’ll be doing:
- Ensuring that our team of Senior Scientists have the resources they need to accomplish goals and meet timelines
- Modeling complex systems to efficiently probe parameter space and guide scientific exploration
- Serving as a scientific sounding board to troubleshoot and optimize systems
- Employing biochemistry and molecular methods such as: spectroscopy, protein purification, antibody conjugation, DNA modification, fluorescent labeling, fabricating and processing nanomaterials to construct assay reagents and test functional efficacy;
- Writing and reviewing protocols and reports describing analytical assays contributing to regulatory filings;
- Transferring methods to other internal or external partners and supporting the collaboration through timely result analysis;
- Communicating analytical results to peers and leadership to support decision-making, and collaborating with development teams to support goals and timelines.
What you’ll need:
- PhD degree in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, biophysics, bioengineering, or a related field;
- Fluency in chemistry (biological contexts);
- Experience leading a team of scientists to achieve ambitious goals
- Fundamental understanding of kinetic rate theory and competent in math and physics;
- A high degree of comfort with modeling and complex data analysis
- 3+ years of post-doctoral laboratory experience in a related field with a proven track record of laboratory success;
- Proven success working with biomolecular reactions, assay design, and/or product development is an asset;
- Ability to communicate results and concepts clearly to scientists and nonscientists.
Bonus points for:
- Experience developing immunoassays, enzymatic assays, and/or cellular assays for molecular detection/diagnostics;
- Contributions to pre-clinical or clinical validation of a medical device or detection technique;
- Appreciation of puns.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Vital is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
With our company size and growth you will have many opportunities to be an inspirational and collaborative team member. Desire to be a critical part of a growing company while continuously learning both personally and professionally? This is what you are looking for!
We are actively building our strategies, structures, and process so this role will be busy and expanding. You will also have opportunities to be a mentor for other team members and create something that changes the face of healthcare. You will grow as the company grows, you evolve as we evolve. We despise stagnation!
The role will be initially based at the University of Guelph in Guelph, Ontario, for approximately two (2) months, and then out of our main office in Mississauga, Ontario.
We’re Vital. We build products that combine cutting-edge science and intuitive design in ways that make measuring health and taking action accessible by everyone. Our mission is to democratize technology that puts people in control of their health.
This is a massive goal, and we’re just getting started. We’re looking for special people to join our team to help us make it a reality.
At Vital, we thrive on change, operate on trust, and leverage diverse perspectives from the people on our team in everything we do. We operate at a rapid pace and we push key decisions to folks on the front lines across all of our teams. Our culture is fundamentally based on having a growth mindset – which means Vital is the kind of place where you can make an impact, somewhere you want to invest your talent and energy, and do your life’s best work. As a workplace, we challenge and support you to hone your craft and be a part of something bigger than any of us.