The science team at Vital is seeking a passionate and creative scientist to fill the role of Reagent Scientist. We’re looking for a teammate capable of leading our efforts to scale, commercialize, and stabilize the reagents for our next-generation assays.
As a Reagent Scientist at Vital, you will be working with the assay development team to develop and execute strategies to scale and stabilize our reagents for commercialization. This role sits at the in between our science and engineering teams serving as a crucial interface for our product development.
The role will involve process development and refinement and the ability to adapt to work in a fast-paced lab environment. We are constantly optimizing our lab to help push science forward at unprecedented rates. You will be expected and encouraged to actively contribute to our product development direction, and present novel procedural and scientific concepts that will positively impact all aspects of Vital’s operations.
What you’ll be doing:
- Developing processes explore various options for stabilization of our diverse set of reagents
- Performing trade studies to determine the solutions that best meet our performance and cost targets
- Working with the team to develop a plan to achieve reagent stabilization including development of budgets, milestones, protocols, acceptance criteria, and timelines
- Converting unknown-unkowns into known-unknowns
- Work closely with the science, engineering, and regulatory teams
- Manage multiple tasks and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Communicate effectively with peers and leadership to support decision-making, including writing protocols and summarizing results in a report or presentation
You will need to:
- Have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering, or related field Be meticulously organized
- Have experience with reagent scale up and
- Have experience working under a Quality Management System
- Have experience working and negotiating with vendors
- Be able to procure the equipment and materials needed to setup a reagent stabilization workflow
- Be competent in biochemistry and chemistry
- Have experience with execution of experiments in a wet lab (at least 1 year)
- Have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering, or related field
Bonus points for:
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Prior experience working in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- An appreciation of puns
Equal Opportunity Employer
Vital is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
With our company size and growth you will have many opportunities to be an inspirational and collaborative team member. Desire to be a critical part of a growing company while continuously learning both personally and professionally? This is what you are looking for!
We are actively building our strategies, structures, and process so this role will be busy and expanding. You will also have opportunities to be a mentor for other team members and create something that changes the face of healthcare. You will grow as the company grows, you evolve as we evolve. We despise stagnation!
The role will be initially based at the University of Guelph in Guelph, Ontario, for approximately two (2) months, and then out of our main office in Mississauga, Ontario.
We’re Vital. We build products that combine cutting-edge science and intuitive design in ways that make measuring health and taking action accessible by everyone. Our mission is to democratize technology that puts people in control of their health.
This is a massive goal, and we’re just getting started. We’re looking for special people to join our team to help us make it a reality.
At Vital, we thrive on change, operate on trust, and leverage diverse perspectives from the people on our team in everything we do. We operate at a rapid pace and we push key decisions to folks on the front lines across all of our teams. Our culture is fundamentally based on having a growth mindset – which means Vital is the kind of place where you can make an impact, somewhere you want to invest your talent and energy, and do your life’s best work. As a workplace, we challenge and support you to hone your craft and be a part of something bigger than any of us.